The comparison between WordPress vs Blogger is happening from the start even since WordPress came and blogging started. As you may already know both of these are systems helps us to create our own blog to share with the world.
It’s like a piece of cake to create your blog nowadays using any of these platforms. If you want to learn how to install WordPress and create your own blog. Check it out.
Ok, so let’s get back to the topic that is the difference between WordPress and Blogger and which one you should use when you decide to make your blog. The answer to this question is very simple and “One Worded”. But let’s see the positives and negatives of both.
Advantages of Blogger
- Blogger is totally free and it is highly maintained by the tech giant Google. It is owned by Google which means it is popular. And it will get a good exposure on the internet because Google supports Blogger sites.
- You can monetize your blog with google ads and start making money right away. If your blog is getting hits and reaching to the interested people and you are getting a good amount of visitors every month you can earn big amount of money simply by using ads by google. Google offers a fantastic program for this purpose that is called Google Adsense.
- Blogger comes with a very easy and simple interface that even a newbie can make his/her own blog without getting and help others. Or no need to learn it first before starting to blog. It’s very simple and ready to make a blog for you.
Disadvantages of Blogger
- The biggest drawback of a blogger is. Your website or blog will always be owned by blogger. Which means owned by Google. You are not the owner of your blog. Technically. Google can shut it down if they want. They can limit your access if they want. It depends on their mood. Because you don’t have access to files of blogger. You don’t have any source code of your blog. It’s not owned by you. The owner (Google) can shut it down anytime and you can’t do anything about it. And it’s totally legal for Google to shut it down.
- The second biggest drawback is. Unlike WordPress, Blogger does not give you the option to install plugins into your blog. Plugins are the small packages made by developers to enhance the performance of your blog. Or to add more features to your blog. But sadly Blogger does not have this feature.
- Another drawback is the lack of themes or templates. There are some to choose from. But they are not enough that you completely satisfied with your choice. And because someone else on the internet is also making a blog using blogger. She/he also would have installed the same template that you have chosen. Because there aren’t enough of them. So most likely there can be duplicate blogs on the internet like yours.
Advantages of WordPress
- The biggest positive point of WordPress is It’s completely owned by you. You will have the complete control of your website or blog. By the way, if you are confused between a website and a blog check out this article. The difference between a website and a blog. Ok, so when you can the full control of your blog which means you will have all the source code and files of your website. You can place it on any hosting platforms and make your blog active to the world. And can make it active whatever long you want. You can make it active for 10 years, 20 years, 30 years. Depending on you. But of course, hosting plan is paid.
- You will get the complete control over your blog. You will have all the source code files and if you know a bit of programming. You can easily change anything on your website. Blogger also provides this feature but with very limited tools allowing you to perform only specific tasks on your website. The things you can do on your Blogspot blog are limited, and there is no way you can extend them to meet a need.
- WordPress plugins are the most important part of recommending you to use WordPress. There are thousands of WordPress plugins out there in their WordPress website. TO be exact at this time they have 51,292 plugins ready to install on your blog and make it more attractive and functional. The purpose of the plugin is to enhance the performance of your website. Blogger lacks this feature but WordPress has this feature with the best of its type.
- Similarly, there are tons of themes out there ready to use on the WordPress website. You can literally change the complete look of your website trying different themes for your blog And the most attractive part is most of them are free. You cannot imagine how much beautiful themes are there and they are free. You just need to go search for the desired theme and you are one click away to setup that theme to your website. As simple as that. Check out the top 5 themes that I used.
- Security is again the most important part of WordPress. The blogs made in WordPress are highly secured as far as the hijacking is concerned. Because the code of WordPress is open source and anyone can make changes into the code according to their requirements and needs. You can make changes also and enhance the security if you know how to program and if you found any glitch. It’s already very well developed and highly secured. Other than that you can always install more security based plugins to enhance the security even more.
- WordPress is very SEO friendly. Now, what does this mean? SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. The websites made in WordPress are very SEO friendly and google always rank them higher in the search results. Whenever a user searches for a keyword or a query on the Google search bar. Google will list down the results and most likely the websites made in WordPress would be on top results.
- Because WordPress is the most used CMS platform. Recent statistics show that almost 74.6 Million websites are made using WordPress. Which is like crazy. This shows the popularity of WordPress among the bloggers. Ok so because of the high preferences there are tons of helpful content out there on the internet to help newbies how to install WordPress. Or how to create your own blog on WordPress. It is the highly searched topic in today world. So another positive point for WordPress is you find any help about the issue you are facing from the internet.
Disadvantages of WordPress
- WordPress code is complex. If you wish to make some changes to the code. You first need to learn it. WordPress code is made by high professionals and it can be modified by professionals. Otherwise, you could kill your website.
- One bad plugin installed and your website will be blank. If you are blindly installing plugins that do not even match with your current version of WordPress. It could kill your website.
The conclusion is WordPress that is the best platform to use when you decide to make your blog. It’s easy, fast, reliable, secure and scalable. Blogger has its own benefits but nothing in comparison of WordPress and it has very less scope In future as well. Although the future of WordPress is actually in the hands of their owners because it’s open source. If you own a website or a blog. You are the owner of that WordPress website.
My choice is WordPress that’s why the website you are currently on is also made in WordPress 🙂
Author: Faisal Imtiaz
Faisal Imtiaz is a Web Developer and Blogger. Working in PHP language as a freelancer from the last 5 years. Started blogging and online teaching in the year 2016 and successfully running faisalweb.com and a youtube channel for programming tutorials.