What is the difference between a blog and a website?
The article is intended to explain the difference between a blog and a website. I believe everyone on the internet who started to surf may get confused what is a blog and what is a website. There are tons of website floating in the internet ocean. Exactly like that, there are millions of blogs on the internet. So the first question that comes to your mind will be what exactly a website is and what is a blog? Let’s just clear the air and reveal the difference between a blog and a website.
The basic difference between a blog and a website is theoretically the difference of how data is presented – the format. Apart from that, in practicality, there is a fine line between a blog and a website. There are some main differences between them that can clear the confusions in your mind about them. Let’s gets started and take a deep look at them.
What is a blog?
The word blog comes from two words that are web + log. Which means a series of blog posts listing chronologically. A blog contains the most recent content shown first followed by the previous content. A blog can be easily started by any individual. It’s actually about sharing the experience, knowledge some specific niche, topic or skills. Anyone want to share their life experience, their mind thoughts to the world, He / She can start a blog and share to the world. As simple as that. A blog can be easily started with services like WordPress, Blogger, and Wix etc. These platforms provide you already developed theme designed. Everything is ready to go except your content and experience that you want to post in your blog.
Posting new attractive content in the blog gives it more attention to the search engines. That doesn’t mean tons of scraps will equal gold mine. The quality of content is the only way of a successful blog. Let’s take basic identification of a blog.
Learn how to setup your own WordPress website
How to identify a blog
- Updated content and listing with chronological order
- Blog posts are archived by date, category, tags, author, and subcategories
- A commenting system at the end of each post so people can take part in the communication and ask or share their knowledge about any specific post
- RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds for posts and/or comments for feed-readers like Feedly, etc
- Subscription in order to get latest posts from the admin through email notification
Some good examples of blogs
Techcrunch, Mashable, CNet, Faisalweb, Lifehacker etc
What is a website?
A website is a collection of related web pages, including multimedia content, typically identified with a common domain name, and published on at least one web server.
A Website is actually anything exists on the internet. A website may be complimented with a blog. You must have heard “All apples are fruits but not all fruits are apples” exactly like that “All blogs are websites but not all websites are blogs”. The home page of a blog would be a set of blog posts listed under one another. Although the home page of a website would be more for browsing other pages and not just posts. A blog can be a part of the website on a separate page of subdomain linked to the homepage.
How to identify a website
- A homepage that displays content from several sections of internal website pages
- A website is a combination of different dynamic pages
- A design portfolio of work
- A Frequently asked questions page that readers can browse to get more information
- A page of client testimonials and feedback
- Company’s terms and privacy statements pages
- A Contact form that allows visitors to get in touch
- A blog might be a part of a website, but not the only thing
- A services/products page that displays what they have to offer for the visitors
Examples of a website are Facebook, Yahoo, Wikipedia, and countless more.
Do you need a blog or a website?
It depends upon your requirements. First, decide what do you exactly intend to do? If you want to share and create content on daily basis and spot at a place so people could read it. You may need a blog for that. Although if you want to have a full featured online portal with any abilities and possibilities. You should go to a website. If you have a company, then you use to have your own website combined with a part of the blog. But make sure you know a good deal of coding before you jump in for making a website. You must have a good knowledge and skill of programming language that can be used to develop a website.
Basic difference between a blog and a website
To summarize, the blog is a type of website (Web Log) and the website is the term (site on the web). And further more websites can be static or dynamic. Blogs stand in dynamic websites.
I hope this clears the confusion and doubts about the difference between a blog and a website. I would love to know what you feel about blog vs. website comparison.